Your Ultimate Dinner Recipes for the Holidays!
Christmas is always around the corner, and it is best enjoyed with a feast! However, it’s almost always not that simple to think of dishes that would fit the holiday theme.
Luckily, CookingRelated Blog is here to bring you these 5 recipes that you should try for Christmas Dinner!
Main Dishes for the Ultimate Christmas Dinner!
Our homemade apple pie is sure to be the best apple pie recipe you’ve made to date. For starters, you can make this warm, cozy, classic dessert in these simple steps.
for 8 servings
- 2 ½ cups flour(315 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ sticks butter, 1 1/2 sticks, cold, cubed
- 8 tablespoons ice water, or as needed
- 2 ½ lb granny smith apple(1 kg), cored, sliced, peeled
- ¾ cup sugar(150 g)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ lemon
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 scoop vanilla ice cream
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the flour and salt. Mix with fork until combined.
- Add in cubed butter and break up into flour with a fork. Mixture will still have lumps about the size of small peas.
- Gradually add the ice water and continue to mix until the dough starts to come together. You may not need all of the water, but if the dough is too dry then add more. The dough should not be very tacky or sticky.
- Work the dough together with your hands and turn out onto a surface. Work into a ball and cover with cling wrap. Refrigerate.
- Peel the apples, then core and slice.
- In a bowl, add the sliced apples, sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and juice from the lemon.
- Mix until combined and all apples are coated. Refrigerate.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (200°C).
- On a floured surface, cut the pie dough in half and roll out both halves until round and about ⅛-inch (3 mm) thick.
- Roll the dough around the rolling pin and unroll onto a pie dish making sure the dough reaches all edges. Trim extra if necessary.
- Pour in apple filling mixture and pat down.
- Roll the other half of the dough on top.
- Trim the extra dough from the edges and pinch the edges to create a crimp. Make sure edges are sealed together.
- Brush the pie with the beaten egg and sprinkle with the sugar.
- Cut four slits in the top of the pie to create a vent.
- Bake pie for 50-60 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and no greyish or undercooked pastry remains.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing.
- Top with ice cream and serve.
Meat is the most sought-after ingredient for Christmas dishes!
Pastry-Wrapped Holiday Ham
Probably one of the most loved Christmas dinner recipes. There’s ham under that golden puff-pastry! Lovely seasoned ham, dressed in a crunchy delicious dough. What more could you ask for on a special occasion?
for 4 servings
- ¼ cup brown sugar(55 g)
- ¼ cup dijon mustard(60 g)
- 1 ½ lb boneless ham(680 g), pre-cooked
- 1 tube crescent dough, pre-made
- egg, beaten
APPLE CIDER SAUCE
- 1 cup apple cider(240 mL)
- ⅓ cup cider vinegar(80 mL)
- ⅓ cup honey(110 g)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Mix the brown sugar and mustard in a small bowl.
- Score the pre-cooked ham and brush the mustard mixture over the ham. Roast the ham for 20 minutes.
- Wrap the ham in crescent roll dough.
- Place the wrapped ham on parchment-lined baking sheet and brush with egg wash. Bake for another 20 minutes.
- While the ham is baking, make the apple cider sauce. In a medium pot, bring the apple cider, cider vinegar, honey, mustard, and chili powder to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let the sauce thicken.
- Slice the ham and serve with the apple cider sauce.
Whole-roasted Chicken and Veggies
One of the easiest Christmas dinner recipes that every home cook should have! This crispy roast chicken with vegetables and potatoes looks impressive, tastes amazing, and only requires 15 minutes of preparation.
for 6 servings
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 cup butternut squash(125 g), diced
- 1 ½ cups broccoli floret(225 g)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 lb small whole chicken(2 kg)
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 leaf fresh thyme leaf, to taste
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme sprigs, for garnish
- butcher’s twine
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a large, ovenproof skillet or frying pan, mix together the carrots, squash, and broccoli, and coat with the oil. Spread the veggies into 1 even layer.
- Place the chicken on top of the veggies.
- Season the bird on all sides and in the cavity with salt, pepper, and fresh thyme leaves. While seasoning the bird, make sure that enough seasoning has fallen onto the veggies below to give them good flavor.
- To truss the chicken, fold the wingtips underneath the breasts so that they fit snugly. Using a piece of butcher’s twine, tie the legs together so the bird holds a nice shape.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast reads 160°F (70°C).
- NOTE: Once resting out of the oven, the temperature will continue to rise to a safe 165°F (75°C).
- Let the chicken rest for at least 15 minutes once out of the oven, so that all of the juices in the meat can settle and the internal temperature has time to finish rising.
- Carve the bird as desired.
- Serve on a plate with the veggies, and fresh thyme sprigs for garnish.
Side Dishes for the Ultimate Christmas Dinner!
This is one of the most promising Christmas dinner recipes for sides! I promise that they’re far more interesting in roasted than in steamed form. Roasted carrots are an easy and healthy weeknight side dish, and would also add a welcome jolt of color to your holidays!
for 4 servings
- 1 lb carrot(455 g)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- fresh parsley, chopped, to serve
- Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C).
- Add the carrots to a sheet pan, and toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, and maple syrup.
- Roast for 20 minutes.
- Top with parsley.
This is best when there are a bunch of lingering veggies in the fridge. A basic clean-out-the-fridge type meal, and also a wonderful side for Christmas Day!
for 4 servings
- 1 ½ lb brussels sprouts(680 g), halved
- 2 pears, cored and sliced into wedges
- ½ cup yellow onion(75 g), finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 4 lemon wedges
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup dried cranberry(30 g)
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230˚C).
- In a large bowl, add the Brussels sprouts, onion, olive oil, salt, and pepper, and mix to combine.
- Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and add pears.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Stir once, then back for an additional 10-15 minutes, until the Brussels sprouts are golden brown and have started to crisp and the pears have caramelized.
- Squeeze the lemon over the Brussels sprouts and drizzle with the honey.
- Add the dried cranberries and stir to combine.
- Bake for an additional 25-35 minutes.
Christmas is always around the corner. Get yourself prepared with these Ultimate Recipes for Christmas Eve!